Poisoning

Accidental exposure of children under six years old to poisons is a very real problem in New Zealand. One in five families with pre-school age children experience a poisoning every year. Adults and teenagers can also be poisoned through accidental exposure, mishandling of chemicals or inappropriate use of medications. Poisons in this case include normal household cleaners, chemicals and medications.

If you suspect your child has ingested a poison, follow these steps:

If they are awake call the Poisons hotline 0800 764 766

If they are sleepy or unconscious, lie them on their side and dial 111 for an ambulance

DO NOT make them vomit unless the hotline or ambulance service tells you to

You can find out more information on keeping your children safe from poisons at The National Poisons Centre